I enrolled in a Spanish class here in Spain, because I feel like such an asshole for just staring at people's sweaty foreheads when they talk to me.
The level of English here is zero, and my level of Spanish is zero, so for the longest time I had only made friends with the pigeons that slept in my roof.
It was kind of like a one-sided friendship, because I fed them, and they shit on my clothes line.
Okay that's great, guys.
In my class, the first question the teacher asked me was if I understood a little bit of Spanish, to which my answer was "oui," so that sort of sums up how the first lesson went.
I went to a French school when I was younger, and took Italian in university, so throwing Spanish in the mix is a cluster-fuck of silent letters, rolled "R's" and sorcery, all at the same time.
We started with the basics, like hello and thank you, but I was way more interested in learning all the swear words. Unfortunately they aren't part of the curriculum, so I had to go home and google them instead.
Necessary.
I've almost been here for a month and I'm going to eventually need to learn some simple terms like "can you pay for my food," and "what aisle are the tampons in?" (sorry boys, I didn't make the rules.)
Grocery shopping is a challenge as I end up guessing on half the shit I'm buying. I usually leave with some sort of mystery meat package, and cheap wine that tastes like battery acid.
If I die, it's for this reason.
I hope I can at least practice my Spanish in hell.
xoxo, the damsel
No comments:
Post a Comment